Do you love yourself? Do you know how to love yourself? Today, I talk about my journey to self-love. It has been a long one, and a struggle at times. Some days it’s still struggle, but on those days, you just have to push through and pray for better days.
This journey has been a long and difficult one for me. When I was younger, I was bullied about my weight, about my clothing choices, and about the fact that I didn’t have a designer bag (I was in sixth grade, and Coach was SO in). After my horrific middle school years were over, high school got a lot better and I hit my peak during junior and senior year. I was really involved in choir (I know it sounds nerdy, but it was so cool), and my senior year I was the choir president. Everything was perfect, especially those two years.
Once I graduated high school and went away to college, things changed. I think everyone goes through a transition period from college to high school, and everyone reacts to that type of life change differently. For me, I was a somewhat innocent girl growing up, and when I went away to college, I felt like I needed to break out of my shell and harness my newfound freedom. I joined a sorority, I made some friends, and I went wild. I partied often and wasn’t super focused on school. I didn’t realize it, but I started to hate who I had become; the girl I once was started to deteriorate.
After Christmas break, I came back to school and hid in my dorm room the entire semester. It may sound like I’m overreacting, but I honestly became a hermit. I didn’t want to talk to or see anyone except for a handful of people. I dropped out of my sorority and I felt like I deserved to be alone. My freshman year of college was probably one of the toughest I’ve ever had.
Following my spring semester as a freshman, I had a much needed break to go home for the summer, and I worked as a full-time nanny. This summer was also the summer that I got Molly, my beloved rescue dog. It’s no secret that I love dogs, but I got Molly for my anxiety and depression as well. More on Molly in a blog post coming soon, but basically, Molly helped me so much
Needless to say, it’s been quite the journey thus far. It has taken me a long time to love myself the way that I do now, but it isn’t a quick fix. Loving yourself is something that you have to work towards everyday. Now I’m going to share with you some things I do to love myself each and every day.
How to love yourself
- Never ever let anyone tell you that you aren’t good enough. I’m just going to be honest here, I have dated people who told me I wasn’t good enough, pretty enough, smart enough. I’ve heard it all, and I let it effect the way I felt about myself. Now, I know that when people put you down, you need to drop them. Toxic people are something you do not need in your life, which snowballs into my next point.
- Surround yourself with loving and supportive people. I’ve been blessed with a supportive family who will be there every step of the way with me, and a handful of friends that I can count on.
- Get motivated. In my last post, I talked about how to get motivated. When you’re doing something with your life and you are achieving your goals, you’ll be happier and you will love yourself a little more.
- Remember that you were fearfully and wonderfully made. God created you, and only one of you. He took his time and made something precious. Every single person on this earth has a purpose in life, including you. Keep than in mind the next time you are doubting or hating on yourself.
- Make time for yourself, and give yourself a break. Sometimes we just need a break. I am almost always stressed or anxious, and sometimes I just need to take a step back and destress. By taking care of yourself, you are showing yourself love. Your relationship with yourself is similar to a relationship with a significant other (it is also just as important). Take care of yourself, show yourself that you love yourself and you will start to believe it.
Self-love is not something that comes easily; just like anything else worth something in life, you must work for it. Walking by your faith each and every day, and learning to love yourself has a huge impact on how happy you are. Try out my tips and watch the love you have for yourself grow.
How do you show yourself that you love yourself?