How to Get & Stay Motivated

Happy Monday! Writing this post today, I can say that I am the most motivated I have been in months. I always seem to go through periods in my life where I can’t feel inspired; I get unmotivated, depressed, and just plain unhappy. I think most people struggle with this from time to time; our brains just shut down and we coast through life. Well, hopefully reading this post is inspiration enough to get your brain’s gears turning, and motivate you in one way or another.

motivation, get motivated, coffee with chelsea, blog, lifestyle blog

Make a list of goals

List making always seems to put things in order for me, and helps me to organize my thoughts in a way that makes sense. Creating a list of goals is essential to getting the ball rolling and finding motivation. Figuring out your goals gives you a clear idea of where you want to be, which allows you to create a game plan for how to get there.

Get inspired

Sometimes the weirdest things inspire me. I can just be minding my own business and all of a sudden I see something beautiful or strange and it triggers something in my head. It’s like a creative light switch turns on. Regardless of where you find your inspiration, whether it be on Pinterest or in a forest, seek it out and open yourself up to inspiration.

Don’t exhaust your creativity

This is something I struggle with. I get so excited about a project that I’m working on that I devote every waking hour to it. I’m up all night writing, or tweaking my blog theme, or editing pictures, and I just keep going. Nothing is worse for a creative than never taking a step back to take a breath and not think about whatever project they are working on. Moderation is key.

Find an escape

Every once in a while, you just need to get away. Escaping from the world from time to time is completely healthy, unlike isolating yourself (which is what I have been doing the past few months). Find a serene place that you can just be for a couple of hours. This helps you to rejuvenate and get your creative juices flowing again. If you can’t make it outside, try an adult coloring book, or read a book.

Invest in yourself

Treat yo self. Make yourself feel special. Nothing makes me happier than doing something nice for myself every once in a while. Invest in yourself, and in your passions. You will be 100 times more motivated and inspired when you spend money or time towards you, or something your passions.

I hope my tips for getting and staying motivated helps you to get out of your slump, or inspires you. Remember that the grass is only green where you water it. You must put time and work into yourself and your passion if you want to grow and flourish. -Tweet this!

Wishing you all a happy Monday!

What keeps you motivated?

Chelsea KarrenBrock_Xoxo-2

35 Comments

1. May 16, 2016 / 2:55 pm

I really needed this post; I’m a teacher, almost on summer break, and I need to make a list of my goals so I don’t waste all of my off time : )

May 16, 2016 / 7:13 pm

That’s a great idea, Lindsay. Good luck with your goal setting 🙂

2. May 16, 2016 / 4:40 pm

Great tips Chelsea! I totally agree that it takes effort to grow. It doesn’t always happen on its own!
    Evelina @ Fortunate House

May 16, 2016 / 7:13 pm

Thanks for reading, Evelina!

3. May 16, 2016 / 4:50 pm

Yes! I especially appreciate and agree with the moderation point. It’s almost like when you’re in school and you save everything until the last minute. Then for weeks after to have to do all your work in one night, you can barely function.

May 16, 2016 / 5:31 pm

I love that analogy. It’s so true! Thanks for reading, Kristin 🙂

4. May 16, 2016 / 5:21 pm

Lists are definitely a big one to help me stay motivated. And goals too – when people ask me how I stay motivated to run as much as I do, I say that I always have a race I’m signed up for so I know I need to train for it. It really is the best motivation!

May 16, 2016 / 5:30 pm

That’s such a great way to stay motivated. Forward thinking is the easiest way, in my opinion! Thanks for ready, Becky ☺️

5. May 16, 2016 / 6:15 pm

I have become a master at finding an escape—as simple as reading a mindless novel or even more mindless comedy on Netflix, as complex as getting in the car and doing my favorite therapeutic drive.

May 16, 2016 / 6:34 pm

These are all such great ways to give yourself a breather! Thanks for reading Rae 🙂

6. May 16, 2016 / 6:33 pm

These are great tips! I definitely agree with the last two in finding an escape and treating yourself. We all work hard and it’s important to take breaks and be kind to yourself. 🙂

May 16, 2016 / 6:35 pm

Thank you Cara! It’s always good to take a step back from our busy lives. 🙂

7. May 16, 2016 / 6:52 pm

I find when I’m tired I’m not motivated at all, I completely agree with treating yourself and giving yourself some good old me time, can really help to refuel and get motivated. Otherwise I just get drained and as a result so lazy that I can’t be bothered to do anything but watch Netflix.

May 16, 2016 / 6:57 pm

I fall into the Nextflix black hole sometimes, too. Thanks for reading, Allie!

8. Kate
    May 16, 2016 / 9:29 pm

I especially love the tip to escape. I always forget that it’s okay to walk away for a minute or two and clear my mind.

May 16, 2016 / 9:35 pm

So true 🙂 Thanks for reading, Kate! <3

9. May 16, 2016 / 10:24 pm

I so needed this post! So well written and could not agree more, sometimes you really do just need a break!

May 16, 2016 / 10:53 pm

So glad I could offer some good tips, Adriana 🙂 Thanks for reading!

10. May 17, 2016 / 5:24 am

Finding an escape is the best piece of advice! It’s so important to reconnect with nature and your own mind!

May 17, 2016 / 11:04 am

11. May 17, 2016 / 9:56 pm

Yes, I always dive into a project or a goal then realize that somewhere along the way I become unmotivated. It’s always been how I am. I love the tip on moderation. I really do think that’s key. In a way moderating it keeps the excitment alive a bit.

May 17, 2016 / 9:58 pm

This is so very true! It’s like desert; we all love it until we have too much!

12. May 17, 2016 / 10:38 pm

This is such a great post! I am currently in a time in my life where everything is just cray and I don’t have time to invest in myself or my creativity and that can be really draining on my motivation. One way I try to stay motivated during these times is to go outside and take my dog for long walks/runs. I find it clears my head and I am able to see my plans out outlooks a lot better.

May 17, 2016 / 10:45 pm

That’s such a great tip! I hope things get better for ya, girl. Sending prayers and love your way. XO

13. May 18, 2016 / 2:08 pm

Oh, man. I need to apply this list to my life RIGHT NOW, haha! Thanks for these tips!!

May 18, 2016 / 2:11 pm

You’re so welcome! Thanks for reading, Tawni!

14. May 18, 2016 / 3:14 pm

So true about needing to not exhaust your creativity! I’m the same way where I get super excited about an idea that I just go go go until all the sudden I’m so tired I can’t do even simple tasks! I need to work on doing things little by little, they usually work out better that way anyway!

May 18, 2016 / 3:38 pm

So true 🙂 Thanks for reading!

15. Tamara
    May 18, 2016 / 6:10 pm

I always struggle with staying motivated, great tips!

XoXo,

Tamara – LoveofMode.com

May 18, 2016 / 6:59 pm

Thanks for reading!

16. May 19, 2016 / 2:48 pm

So true!! I signed up for a 7 week fast paced Medical terminology [online] vet tech class that starts next week and am kind of already regretting that decision lol not REALLY- but I know that I will need extra oomph to get me through it. I’m going to need to get and keep motivation! I think it’s important to remember your final goal too, as sometimes that can get lost in the craziness of it all. Important to escape too, like you said- this summer we are going camping from ocean city maryland down to Virginia beach with friends for our birthdays [and my 25th! ] and I already can’t wait…by then my summer class will be over and I can relax a little bit until fall semester starts ; )

May 19, 2016 / 5:04 pm

My gosh Shannon! You’ve got a lot going on, but I believe in you! Hard work means that you get to play harder later on. 🙂 So jealous of your camping trip for your birthday! I’m going to have to go sometime this summer. Stay motivated! You’ve got this girl 🙂

17. May 19, 2016 / 3:13 pm

Such a great post, I love the last point is SO important to treat yourself and keeps you motivated to keep moving forward! Thanks for sharing!

May 19, 2016 / 5:05 pm

Thank you for reading, Courtney!