How to Be Happy & Stress Less

Happy Thursday everyone! It’s finals week here at Texas State, and lemme tell ya, I’m stressed. Stressful weeks like this can really put a damper on a positive attitude, so I have been doing things to calm me down, cheer me up, and make me happier. There are so many tools and tips to use to destress nowadays, and it is in your best interest to use them. First, you have to find things that personally work for you. Today I’ll be sharing with you a few tools that have helped me survive these past few weeks.

IMG_2830

Things that I’ve been loving:

1. Journaling has been extremely helpful in sorting my thoughts and getting all of them out of my head and onto a piece of paper. I have been listening to a podcast recently called Wellness Wonderland, and the episode I listened to yesterday was about the importance of journaling.  The host, Katie Dalebout, and her guest, Jenn Hand, were talking about how journaling can help you get to know yourself, which is something that I have been struggling with lately. Journaling has really allowed me to analyze why I’m feeling the way that I am. I now know more about how to fix or change those feelings if need be. I would definitely recommend trying journaling out for yourself (also, check out the Wellness Wonderland podcast!).
  2. I recently purchased an adult coloring book. A coloring book? For adults? It sounded silly to me at first too, but it has proven to be quite therapeutic. Especially for someone like me, whose mind runs at one hundred miles a minute, it’s nice to be able to zone out for a while and concentrate on one thing.IMG_2838
  3. Reading is a great way to get out of your head and escape from your reality for a while. Now, I’m not saying that you should run away from your problems, but I am saying that reading can give you a little bit of a break from time to time. The book I have been reading is called ‘You are a Badass’ by Jen Sincero. It’s a great book that helps you to realize your full potential and act on it. I was an avid reader when I was younger, but as I have grown older, reading isn’t at the top of my priority list. I’m hoping to get back into the swing of things and read a little more.

I challenge you to either try these tips to relax a little, or find your own!

What helps you destress?

Always,

26 Comments

1. May 18, 2016 / 2:46 pm

I love these tips – I was given an adult colouring book for my birthday and I absolutely love it! I’m currently on the look out for a book I can use for journaling as I love doing that as well!

May 18, 2016 / 3:38 pm

I am on the look out for one as well. I currently use a journal I got at Marshalls for my journaling. I’ll let you know if I find any good journaling books 🙂

2. May 18, 2016 / 3:23 pm

Great Points in here! I tend to go to the cinema by myself! some people think its strange but I like the thought of focussing on one thing only for the next two hours and turning off your devices. In a cinema there is nothing too distracting around so its an easy way to relax! 🙂 lovely post!

May 18, 2016 / 3:39 pm

I love that idea, it’s a great tip! I’ll have to give it a try 🙂 Thanks for reading!

3. May 18, 2016 / 3:53 pm

I have a thankful journal that I write in.. and it is only a list of 10 things that I am thankful for. It helps me to fall asleep with happy thoughts, since anxiety creeps in at nighttime!

May 18, 2016 / 4:19 pm

I love that so much! Such a great idea 🙂 Thanks for reading, Lauren!

4. May 18, 2016 / 4:39 pm

Great tips! I am a huge advocate of creating your own happiness and knowing what you need to do to make yourself feel better. This would definitely help a lot of people.

May 18, 2016 / 4:41 pm

Thank you for reading, Ashley! 🙂

5. May 18, 2016 / 5:54 pm

I enjoy journaling but, need to be better about doing it more often. I love reading and coloring. Although, I don’t have a pretty adult coloring book. I typically just dig in with what ever book the kids are working in. Or my own sketch pad.

May 18, 2016 / 6:12 pm

Hopefully you can get into journaling more 🙂 Thanks for reading, Theresa!

6. May 18, 2016 / 6:55 pm

I’m so bad at journaling and in spite of the millions of articles I have read about how bad it is to spend you last hour at night glued to your smart phone it’s so hard to put it down. When I really need to relax I lay down and put on a meditation tape – originally I thought these were just for the more “granola” crowd but I’ve grown to find they are for everyone!

Also I have an adult coloring book, but I’m such a perfectionist with it that it is SO not relaxing lol

May 18, 2016 / 6:58 pm

I love your meditation tape tip! I’ll have to try it out 🙂 Thanks for reading!

7. May 18, 2016 / 7:54 pm

The coloring book trend has been helpful for me too, I just have to take the effort of opening the coloring book!

May 18, 2016 / 7:57 pm

So true, but the effort is worth it in the end! Thanks for reading 🙂

8. May 18, 2016 / 9:21 pm

I agree, I think reading is so relaxing! It almost puts you in another world depending on what you are reading. 🙂

May 19, 2016 / 12:57 pm

That’s so true! Reading has a wonderful way of placing you inside the book and blocking out reality.

9. Diana Catapang
    May 19, 2016 / 8:14 am

Really, people are always opt to something that will make us happy. We always wanted to do things that will make us feel better and comfortable. This blog has so much to give! it is a great post to everyone who doesn’t know where they are heading to.

May 19, 2016 / 12:56 pm

Thank you so much, Diana! ❤️

10. May 19, 2016 / 4:56 pm

I just bought a coloring book that also has Bible verses on the page. I’ve been wanting to read my bible more, and my friend gave me a great idea: reflect on the verse that’s on the page while you color it. It’s relaxing and beneficial 🙂

May 19, 2016 / 5:05 pm

I love that! I haven’t seen any coloring books with verses in them, but now I’m going to have to hunt for one. Such a great idea to feel closer to the Lord. Thanks for sharing!

11. May 19, 2016 / 5:51 pm

Reading and running are what make me happy, I do enough colouring with the kids and find it anything but relaxing haha!

May 19, 2016 / 6:01 pm

Reading and running are so good to get your mind off of everything. Love it!

12. May 20, 2016 / 12:59 am

This week has been SO stressful for me so this is right on time! I need to get myself an adult coloring book because I think that would help me relax when I’m tense and overwhelmed.

LiveLifeWell,
    Allison

May 20, 2016 / 1:19 am

I hope it gets better girl! Sending love your way!

13. May 23, 2016 / 11:34 am

I have the mandala colouring book! I love it for relaxing and destressing.

Reading is also on my list, but taking an hour to drink a latte and paint my nails (or have them done) always does the trick for me!

Xxox